BACON CINNAMON ROLLS
By: Tresha Lindo & Chris Salicrup
Visit our Unity Food Store and find all the items required for this recipe in one convenient spot! Look for the large 'Recipe of the Week' sign or ask one of our team members to direct you to the display!
• 2 cups whole milk (480 mL), warm
• ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g)
• 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
• 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
• 5 cups all purpose flour (625 g), divided, plus more for dusting
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, for greasing the pan
• ¾ cup light brown sugar (165 g)
• 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, sofeted
• 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
• 14 strips cooked bacon
• ½ cup maple syrup (165 g)
• 4 oz cream cheese (115 g), cubed and softened
• ½ cup powdered sugar (60 g)
1. Make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the warm milk, granulated sugar, and melted butter. The mixture
should be just warm, registering between 100–110°F (37–43°C). If any warmer, let cool slightly.
2. Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the milk mixture, whisk to incorporate, and let sit in a warm place for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
3. Add 4 cups (500 G) of flour to the milk mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
4. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until nearly doubled in size.
5. Meanwhile, make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Set aside.
6. Generously grease a 9-inch (22 cm) round baking pan with the softened butter and set aside.
7. Uncover the dough and add the remaining cup of flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well to incorporate.
8. Turn the dough out onto a clean surface. Leave a bit of flour nearby to use as needed, but try not to incorporate too much. Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes, adding more flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness. The dough should be very smooth and spring back when poked.
9. Roll the dough out into a 14-inch (35 cm) square about ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) thick. Square the corners with a bench scraper or a spatula to make sure they are sharp and even.
10. Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
11. Slice the dough lengthwise into 7 pieces that are 2 inches (5 cm) wide.
12. Place 2 strips of bacon on each piece of dough. Starting from one short end, roll up each strip of dough and pinch the seam closed.
13. Place the cinnamon rolls in the prepared pan, 1 in the center and 6 around the sides. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 35–45 minutes, until expanded by about half of their original volume.
14. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the cinnamon rolls for 35–40 minutes, until golden brown and cooked
through. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
15. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the icing: In a small pot, cook the maple syrup over medium-high until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
16. In a medium bowl, whisk together the reduced maple syrup, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon rolls, using the back of a spoon to spread if desired.
Recipe from https://tasty.co/recipe/bacon-cinnamon-rolls